Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing
Course Duration: One year
Medium of Instruction: English
This course in Marketing Management investigates the fundamental approaches to understand markets, competitors and portfolios of product offering. Therefore this Diploma is useful for executives who are working in any organization because marketing is core to the sustenance and growth of any organization.
Objective/ Graduate Profile
The postgraduate student who completes the degree will be able to;
• Identify new opportunities in the market and devise effective marketing strategies to capitalize on them
• Analyze the current marketing practices/strategies of organizations and propose alternative approaches to ensure the sustenance of the firm
• Critically evaluate the applicability of theories and models in comprehending contemporary marketing practices and developing more-context specific approaches in solving such issues.
• Identify the issues on professional codes of ethics in the area of marketing and perform the role of a ‘marketer’ in an ethical and socially responsible manner.
Professional and Employment Opportunities
Many job opportunities are available in manufacturing, trade, imports, exports and service sectors as marketing professionals.
To be eligible for admission to this program an applicant must possess one of the following qualifications;
• A Bachelor’s Degree (Special or General) in the field of Management (Business Administration, Human Resource Management, Commerce, Public Management, Marketing Management, Accountancy, Financial Management, Public Administration, Estate Management and Valuation, Business Economics, Operations Management, Management Information Systems) from University of Sri Jayewardenepura or any
other recognized university
• Bachelor’s Degree with First or Second Class Upper Division in any other subject area obtained from a recognized university
• A Bachelor’s Degree in any other subject area obtained from a recognized university with one year working experience in Management or Marketing discipline
• Advanced Diploma in Marketing offered by the University of Sri Jayewardenepura and having followed 30 credits worth of a bridging course to alleviate to the Bachelor’s Degree level*
• Diploma in Marketing offered by the University of Sri Jayewardenepura and having followed 60 credits worth of a
bridging course to alleviate to the Bachelor’s Degree level*
Note: The requirement for bridging courses to alleviate the Advanced Diploma and Diploma will be effective from 2018
Those who have followed Advanced Diploma and Diploma will be eligible to admitted to PGDip in Marketing Management after following required bridging courses offered from 2018.
Candidate’s performance at each course unit is assessed and graded through theory examinations, practical examinations and continuous assessments during and at the end of the semester. The maximum that can be allocated for the continuous assessment within a course unit could vary between 25% – 50% of the total marks. The pass mark is 50% and student is expected to pass all the course units. Student should obtain a B grade or higher for the Project Report.
Repeating the course units
A candidate who is unable to sit or fail a course unit examination can repeat. Except medical reasons the maximum mark that can be obtained is 50%. For further details please refer paragraph under “Repeating the course units” in page 29.
Awarding the Post Graduate Diploma
A candidate should pass all the courses and should possess a minimum GPA of 2.7 for at least 25 credits worth courses at the end of Semester II. A merit pass will be given if the overall average marks exceeds 80%.
The full amount of the course fee should be paid at the time of registration.