PGD/MSc in Applied Finance
Course Duration: One year Medium of Instruction: English
A practitioner and career oriented degree program is offered for graduates and professionals in the early stages of their careers. The main objective of this program is to produce graduates with sound knowledge in Applied Finance.
The admission requirements for the PG Diploma and the MSc Course are the same. Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Finance (PGD AppFin) is offered as the exit strategy of the MSc in Applied Finance (MSc AppFin).
The postgraduate student who completes the degree/diploma will be able to;
• Identify, analyze, interpret and critically assess the financial problems
• Analyze financial data within the constantly evolving financial environment
• Apply the technics necessary to analyze and interpret data in financial practice
• Analyze the international context and sensitivities of financial management and financial market
• Solve problems in corporate finance and financial markets, including those involv-ing derivative assets
and the operation of the markets in these assets
Professional and Employment Opportunities
Degree/Diploma holders of the program will make meaningful contributions in a variety of job opportunities such as capital market analyst, investment banker, financial planner, financial analyst, financial manager, personal financial adviser, business analyst, securities and investment analyst and work in various fields such as banking, insurance,real estate, financial services or even in governmental organizations.
To be eligible for admission to this program an applicant must possess one of the following qualifications;
• A Bachelor’s Degree with a major in Finance, Economics, Accounting, Commerce or Management from a recognized university with a First Class or Second Class Upper/Lower Division pass
• A Bachelor’s Degree in any subject area from a recognized university with two years post qualifying experience in an executive capacity in finance sector.
• A professional qualification from the following recognized institutions with two years post qualifying experience in an executive capacity.
• Institute of Chartered Accountants of Sri Lanka (ICASL)
• Association of Chartered Financial Analysts (CFA), USA
• Chartered Institute Management Accounts (CIMA) or Institute of Cost and Management Accounts (ICMA), UK
• Institute of Certified Management Accounts of Sri Lanka (CMA)
• Association of Chartered & Certified Accountants (ACCA)
• The Chartered Institute of Marketing (CIM), UK, Diploma
• The Chartered Institute of Bankers (ACIB), UK-Diploma
• Institute of Bankers of Sri Lanka (IBSL) or The Chartered Institute of Bankers (AIB), Sri Lanka- Diploma
• The Chartered Institute of Engineering (CIE), UK/Sri Lanka
• The Institute of Chartered Secretaries and Administrators-Diploma
• Sri Lanka Institute of Advance Technological Education (SLIATE) - Higher National Diploma in Accountancy (HNDA) (Four-year course)
• Sri Lanka Institute of Advance Technological Education (SLIATE) - Higher National Diploma in Management(HNDM) (Four-year course)
• Sri Lanka Institute of Marketing (SLIM) - Diploma with 5 years post qualifying experience
Note: Student are required to obtain minimum of 25 credits
The Postgraduate Diploma consists of nine course units, which includes seven compulsory course units including one term paper for Research in Finance and two elective course
units. Each course carries three or four credit hours and fifteen sessions in a semester. All elective courses will necessarily be available every year or offered at any particular time
during the year. There is no provision for exemption at the postgraduate diploma.