PGD/MSc in Forestry and Environmental Management
PG Diploma – One year
M.Sc. Degree – Two years
Medium of Instruction: English
Forestry and Environmental Management Masters Degree aim to provide students with the appropriate specialize academic understanding and research exposure from which they can develop into effective professional foresters and environmental management specialists. The program focus on development of scientific, technical and management skills required for students to conduct themselves effectively as forestry professionals and environmental specialists. The course has been designed as per the modular basis.
Objectives /Graduate Profile
The postgraduate student who completes the degree will be able to;
- Gain an understanding and knowledge of key areas fundamental to forestry including forest management and economics, silviculture, ecology, wood science, geospatial technologies, soil sciences, and forest engineering/operations, environmental science and natural resource management.
- Acquire skills and technical expertise to manage forests for a full range of uses
- Have the ability to apply knowledge effectively as a part of problem solving exercises
- Communicate effectively in both written and oral forms
- Operate effectively in a team by working co-operatively with others and where necessary the ability to lead teams
- Understand the role of professional foresters/environmentalists in the natural resource management sector
- Understand the responsibility of professional foresters/environmentalists to conduct themselves in an ethical manner
- Undertake independent research through the identification of an original topic, planning and conducting research, analysis of results and oral and written communication of the findings.
Professional and Employment Opportunities
Procurement of positions in United Nations agencies such as UNEP, UNESCAP, UNFCCC and other environment related secretariats and agencies. Openings as senior environmental managers in multinational and international enterprises as well as locally in environmental cells/units in State Ministries, Central Environmental Authority, Urban Development Authority and related institutions/organizations.
To be eligible for admission to this program an applicant must possess one of the following qualifications;
- BSc Degree (SLQF 5 or 6) in Biological or Physical Science, Forestry and Environmental Science, Geography, Geology, Agriculture, Civil or Chemical Engineering
- Four year Degree (SLQF 6) in Management, Social Science, Economics with at least 5 years of experience in the field of natural resources and environmental management
- Any other special qualification equivalent to a degree recognized by the University Grants Commission or considered appropriate by the University Senate with at least 7 years of experience in the field of natural resources and environmental management.